Friday 16 November 2012

What I'm Reading: The Mark of Athena



This week I'm reading The Mark of Athena. I’m a big big big HUUUGGGEEE fan of Rick Riordan. I loved the Percy Jackson series. I really enjoyed the Kane Chronicles. Rick Riordan’s books are an instabuy in hardback for me (I am not a fan of reading books in hardback as they tend to be heavy and make my commute unhappy) but I can’t wait for the paperbacks.
Besides my love of the stories I love that Rick Riordan’s books are so engaging for kids. I love that he manages to make Greek and Egyptian mythology cool. I love that he brings old stories to a completely new audience. I love, more than anything, that he gets people reading. As a *hopeful* YA writer, that’s all I want to do—get teens reading. It’s not an easy task and Rick Riordan does it so well.
I am really digging the Heroes of Olympus series which sees Percy and Annabeth returning to face the looming god-pocalpyse (yes, I make up words) with a new crew of demigod heroes. This is the third book in the series so I’m not going to summarise the other books for you. I’ll just say this: if you haven’t read the Percy Jackson books, but want to see what all the fuss is about, pick up the first book Heroes of OlympusThe Lost Hero. Rick Riordan has done a fantastic job of merging the two series and allowing readers to jump into this new series with the
first book. I love seeing the old characters come back, but the new characters are just as engaging (if not more so). 

This series feels a little older to me than Percy Jackson or the Kane Chronicles (which are firmly middle grade). If not quite YA, then it’s not far off. The Mark of Athena sees our heroes from Camp Jupiter and Camp Half-Blood finally join together to embark on their quest to Rome to stop Gaia from rising and destroying the earth. Filled with lots of action, brilliant characterisation and Riordan’s trademark humour, this is an adventure not to be missed.
While I’m reading, I’ll be sipping an old-school pink lemonade and vodka. Because that’s the perfect drink to accompany this book. A summer favourite (pink lemonade) with a kick of vodka makes me a happy camper. See what I did there, with the whole camp thing? Yeah, it wasn’t that funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment