Monday 11 March 2013

Karma - We are up in your bizzness. For a good cause.

I come from a long line of very nosy people. My sisters and I come by it naturally. There's something about us that has to ask questions. Something about us that inspires confidence in people, that gets them telling us things that we probably shouldn't know (less in a setting like this, more in a face-to-face kind of way). But, more than that, we have a tendancy to take the opportunity to snoop. Sometimes it's as small as watching someone out of the corner of our eyes and from that observation trying to figure out more about them and who they are; sometimes it's as much as what happened this weekend, something that made the snooping for good not evil.

So, I met up with my sister this weekend for a little girl-time, and as part of it, we ended up in a parking garage in this little shopping district near here. As we're bopping along, heading for the elevator, my sister spots a wallet.

Now, yes, the best way to find the woman to whom it belonged was to make a search of it. But, we have very different search patterns. I was a little uncomfortable -- even with as much of a snoop as I can be -- with an out right rifle. I'm more of a ... directed strike type. I would have looked for something specific, the sort of something that stands out -- a business card, an address -- and go from there. Sometimes even researching in more public ways from there. I've spent too much time working at keeping private information private to be particularly comfortable with anything else these days.

My sister, on the other hand is a full-on rifler. And a thourough one. I now know waaay more than I probably should about that poor lady, BUT we were able to find her phone number in there, called her, and got her to come back for it. Apparently it had fallen out when she was loading her children into the car.

I've been there. Losing a wallet -- whether it has money in it or not -- can be really scary, especially when you don't know where you might have left it. I used to put a little contact sheet in my wallet, and I think I will again.

One way or another, I wanted to put a shout out to my sister for finding the lady and returning the wallet. And not being content just to leave it with someone from security. Snoop on, Lady. Snoop on.

No comments:

Post a Comment