Wednesday 5 December 2012

Now Leaving the Friend Zone...

I love the Vlog Brothers. Really, I got introduced to them through Genn. (Thanks, Genn!). They are funny, nerdy, kiind of adorable, and they talk about all kinds of things, from economics to life to dating.  Specifically:


When I was in college, I clawed my way out of the Friend Zone, bloody-cuticled and wounded, and into a relationship with that erstwhile "friend." It went great for a long while. (Until it didn't. Which tends to be how these things go.) So I know it can be done.

However. I will say that now, when I have someone else in that zone...I've never changed my mind about that person. They are in the Friend Zone for a reason. It's not a reason I would ever tell them, so I say things like they mention in the video: "I wish I could find someone just like you!" and that old chestnut, "I don't want to ruin our friendship with sex!"

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't try to get out of the Friend Zone again (even though I've done it before). No. I am in the Friend Zone for a reason. Not a reason my "friend" would ever tell me--and I shouldn't try to make them. But a legitimate reason. Sticking around someone who doesn't like you is waaaay harder than finding someone who appreciates you for who you are--and has no problem "ruining" your friendship by making it a romance. The best significant others, after all, are both friends and lovers--and neither side of that equation is negotiable.

No comments:

Post a Comment